Elsie was born on August 16 1864 at Nani Tal in the Himalayan foothills of India. She called Edinburgh home, but travelled to set up hospitals in Serbia and Russia, as well as doing some of her training in London and Dublin.
- Learn which countries to Elsie visited and set up hospitals in. Are any of these hospitals still open today? Learn an interesting fact about each country to share with your unit or friends.
- Choose a country Elsie visited and learn useful phrases in the national language. Teach those words to your unit or your friends.
- Elsie was awarded medals from many of the countries she visited. Learn more about these and design or make a new medal to award to someone who had the same values as Elsie.
- Girlguiding is a member of the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS), along with more than 10 million members in 150 different countries. Explore some of those places by eating Indian food, making a Serbian craft, or trying on a traditional outfit from WAGGGS member countries.
- WAGGGS runs five World Centres. Learn about these places online. Pick one and build it—or design and build a new one—with items and resources you can find around your house or meeting place.